Competition Rules - Undergraduate Teams
Business Plan Format:
Plans are to be submitted as a single, printable PDF file. Plans are limited to 15 written pages (not including cover page, table of contents or appendices). Page format is double spacing, 12 point font, with 1 inch top, bottom, left and right margins. All pages must be numbered. The cover page must include the company name, team member names in alphabetical order and the degree they are pursuing. Appendices should be included only if they are referenced in the written plan and must print out in a font size that is readable.
- All participants must be currently enrolled undergraduate students
- With mixed teams (those including graduate, and non-students), a majority of the team must consist of undergraduate students
- A team should consist of no more than six members
- The presenting team must own a significant share (50% or more) of the equity in the venture
- Licensing technologies from universities, research institutes, or labs, is allowed assuming there has been no previous commercialization. All teams licensing technology must submit the licensing agreement demonstrating the team has a unique utilization of the technology in question for an appropriate period.
- Only ventures and business plans that are legal and ethical in our jurisdiction will be accepted to the competition
- Faculty Advisors are recommended for each team, but it is not a strict requirement
- Student teams are not allowed to compete at the Competition in consecutive academic years using the same venture unless they can prove significant evolution of the venture
- Ventures not eligible for the competition include: buy-outs, expansions of existing companies, roll-ups, real estate syndications, tax shelters, franchise-based outlets, licensing agreements for distribution in a different geographical area and spin-outs from existing corporations
- The host Institution reserves the right to disqualify any team that violates the rules, regulations or the spirit of the competition.
To seek clarification on any of these rules, or your venture's eligibility, please email email@example.com